With a recent softening of the luxury home market, many sellers have had to invest strategically in the amenities most likely to make their property stand out. The Wall Street Journal reported on the top 10 luxury home upgrades that attract buyers:
1) Retractable Glass Walls– buyers are seeking light-filled homes and accordion glass doors are one option for brightening up a space and giving traditional floor plans a contemporary look.
2) High Ceilings– vaulted ceilings are in demand, and buyers are often willing to pay a premium for loftier great rooms and master suites.
3) Quartzite Countertops– buyers are looking for quartzite, a lustrous natural stone harder than granite and less prone to staining than marble, in the chef’s kitchen.
4) Butler’s Pantry– butler’s pantries outfitted with an extra wine fridge, icemaker, or dishwasher are very popular, augmenting the home’s entertaining space.
5) Spa Bathrooms– master bathrooms with spa-like amenities, including steam showers, free-standing tubs, and high-tech Japanese toilets, have become standard in many high-end properties.
6) Smart-Home Systems– buyers are looking for homes with integrated technologies including app-based music, lighting, and security systems.
7) Four-Car Garage– large garages that can accommodate four cars attract buyers.
8) Barn, Carriage House or In-Law Apartment– outbuildings that have been converted into entertainment spaces, offices, or guest quarters are valuable extensions of a home.
9) Generator– generators, particularly in our storm-prone region, have become very important to buyers.
10) Neutral Décor- flooring, wall colors, and décor in light greys and other natural hues are most attractive to buyers.